bayes expire tokens

Kai Schaetzl maillists at CONACTIVE.COM
Wed Mar 9 22:31:33 GMT 2005

Brady Tucker wrote on         Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:35:00 -0600:

> I'm assuming that the bayes
> DB gets so big that doing the expire job only once/day it takes to long to
> finish and it gives up and tries again repeatedly ?

Exactly, that's the problem. Additionally, if your db builds up over a long
time and expiry eventually kicks in it's quite possible that it cannot find a
good expiry delta because of the algorithm they use for this. That can extend
the run to several minutes and can even fail completely to expire. Running the
expiry regularly prohibits building up of token data which could spoil the
expiry. (The algorithm for expiry takes time of last run, last delta, expected
reduction and one or two other things into account and if it doesn't produce a
sensible figure which could match the expected expiry maximum SA will try to go
thru ten trial loops which can quite often fail.)

  (even when running in
> tmpfs)????  I don't know why..

There's a timeout for SA in mailscanner.conf. As I understand if that occurs
the operation gets called off. Which means expiry also gets called off in the
middle of operation.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany