bayes expire tokens

Brady Tucker mailscanner at ICNET.NET
Wed Mar 9 12:55:50 GMT 2005

You may be right in that Julian may not be able to do anything...   However,
if the problem is that the expiry process is getting interrupted --- and he
can keep MS from trying add to the db or interrupt the expiry process then
it would finish properly even if it took an excessive time, right ?

The problem is that I'm not clear on what is stopping the expiry process in
the first place... Is SA is timing out because it thinks it's taking to long
-- or if MS is 'no longer stopping to wait during expiry' because it was
taking to long and interrupting a long expiry process....

The other solution presented here to set SA to timeout at 120 seconds didn't
work for me... And I wasn't getting SA timeouts in the log anyway -- was/is
everybody else having timeouts with this same problem ?

In the meantime... Forcing expire 3 times a day from a cron job fixes the
problem.  No whining... Just finding a solution that doesn't take up a gig+
in dead lock files/day.  Haven't had a dead lock file in months.

                                                 Brady A. Tucker
                                                 batucker at icnet.net
                                                 Internet Complete!
                                                 w w w . i c n e t . n e t

-----Original Message-----
Of Kai Schaetzl
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 6:31 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: bayes expire tokens

David Lee wrote on         Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:04:39 +0000:

> Thanks, Julian.  That would be appreciated by many people.

I don't see that Julian can do much or even little about this. The problem
happens because the bayes_expiry takes too long. This can only happen on a
corrupted db or a large db. If you get quite a few messages (I think it
should be at least a few 10.000 per day, I don't have such a system, I
can't compare) running thru your system the latter is likely the case.
There are two options then: stop bayes_expiry at all (which will keep it
growing, but may work out) or do it on a scheduled basis. You can also
tweak the db size either to be very small (reducing the amount of time it
takes to expire) or rather large (so that the automatic expiry is unlikely
to happen). But this is all SA-related, not MS. Please go over to the SA
list and talk about your problems. If people just keep whining here,
nothing will change, since the developers don't know that it happens so
frequently. And if the problem is not related to what I think the SA list
is better suited for that anyway.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany