Mail::ClamAV [was: Re: SAVI-Perl/Sophos on RedHat Enterprise 4]

Rick Cooper rcooper at DWFORD.COM
Mon Mar 7 14:12:38 GMT 2005

when you do the install from cpan, and it fails, do a "look Mail::ClamAV"
which should put you in the correct directory Mail-ClamAV-0.16.

Now do make clean && make and see what your output is. From the above it
appears it's not finding the basic ClamAV.pm file that should be in
.cpan/build/Mail-ClamAV-0.16/blib/lib/Mail. Since I cannot imagine how your
bundle wouldn't have that it would seem there must be some kind of
permissions problem or the error message is just plain wrong.

Rick

> > Whereas the earlier parts of this thread were about Mail::ClamAV failing
> > the "make test" stage (i.e. relatively late), this problem is way before
> > it gets that far.
> >
> > Some of what follows might be obvious, but I'm including it "just in
> > case".
> >
> > The Mail::ClamAV module is simply a thin wrapper onto your existing
> > "clamav" software.  The build procedure for this module probably cannot
> > find your installation of it.
> >
> > Quick test:  Do something like "clamav-config --cflags" which, on a
> > working system, would echo back the "CFLAGS" necessary for things that
> > want to interface with the clamav software.  It's my guess that on your
> > system you'll get "Command not found" or similar.
> >
> > Find out where the clamav software is located on your particular system.
> >
> > Set the PATH to include that location's bin directory.
> >
> > Verify that "clamav-config --cflags" now does work, returning typical
> > CFLAGS-like things.
> >
> > Now, with that PATH set up, re-try the build.  This should work
> (although
> > may later fail at the "make test" stage) as discussed previously on this
> > thread.
> >
> > To see the gory details, cd to its build directory (if from
> CPAN, probably
> > something like ".cpan/build/Mail-ClamAV-0.16").  Do "make
> clean", to get a
> > clean start, then "perl Makefile.PL" then "make".  Et cetera.
> >
> > (If you peek inside "Makefile.PL", you'll see stuff relating to the
> > "clamav-config --cflags" discussed above.)
> >

> > --
> >
> > :  David Lee                                I.T. Service          :
> > :  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
> > :                                           University of Durham  :
> > :  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            South Road            :
> > :                                           Durham                :
> > :  Phone: +44 191 334 2752                  U.K.                  :

> > 'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
> > Before posting, read the MAQ (http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/) and
> > the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.