Sizing machine for mailscanner

Sylvain Phaneuf sylvain.phaneuf at IMSU.OXFORD.AC.UK
Mon Mar 7 09:42:17 GMT 2005

I will start with what I have learned from this maillist when I asked
the same question about 4 months ago. I will leave the more subtle
details to the real experts on this list.

Two slightly smaller boxes instead of a biggist one to do load shaing
and have a failover system if problems occur. Great to for upgrades,
etc. Mail flow continues on the 2nd box when you take the 1st off line.
Round robin DNS is great.

We have two identical boxes, getting a load average rarely >1 with
approx 40k mesages a day in total (probably 30k in 8 hours in day time)
with MS, SA and 2 anti-virus:

P4, 2.8 GHz
1 GB RAM
32GB HD

Nothing beefy, but does the job very well.

Sylvain

Sylvain Phaneuf --- Systems Manager   | phone : +44 (0)1865 221323
Clinical School Information Management Services Unit  (IMSU)
Medical Sciences Division
University of Oxford                                  |   email :
sylvain.phaneuf at imsu.ox.ac.uk
Room 3A25B John Radcliffe Hospital      |   fax :  +44 (0) 1865 221322
Oxford   OX3 9DU   England

>>> kte at NEXIS.BE 07/03/2005 09:04:15 >>>
If I get about 10000 mails /day in about 8 hours. What kind of machine
do I need I i turn mailscanner + spamassassin + 3 antivirus programs?

Thanks Koen