mcafee extra.dat

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at RFA.ORG
Fri Mar 4 20:31:13 GMT 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 07:12:18PM +0100, Steen, Glenn wrote:
> The -e option to mcafee-autoupdate seem to be ... non-functional,

That's what I thought from reading the script, but thought I must've
been missing something.

> you'll prolly need get it manually (we usually only implement
> extra.dats we receive from them in response to submissions... unless
> there's something really critical that the other scanners don't find).

Ok. That's what happened here today.

> The logic behind them seem to be to fix (temporarily) problems while
> preparing the next set of DATs... And with McAfee going to daily updates
> I'm guessing the need for automated getting of extra.dat (aside from
> what is already there ... mcafee-autoupdate does look for it in the
> tar-file) will be less...

Ok.

> But using extra.dat files... Just plop the extra.dat into
> /usr/loca/uvscan/datfiles/current directory to use it. The next update
> (via update_virus_scanners) will "move on", so no "extra" worries:-).

Yup. I had that bit figured out.

> (BTW, You should update your engine to 4400:)

Ah. didn't know there had been a new engine released. Thanks.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia