mcafee extra.dat

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Fri Mar 4 18:12:18 GMT 2005

The -e option to mcafee-autoupdate seem to be ... non-functional,
you'll prolly need get it manually (we usually only implement
extra.dats we receive from them in response to submissions... unless
there's something really critical that the other scanners don't find).

The logic behind them seem to be to fix (temporarily) problems while
preparing the next set of DATs... And with McAfee going to daily updates
I'm guessing the need for automated getting of extra.dat (aside from
what is already there ... mcafee-autoupdate does look for it in the
tar-file) will be less...

But using extra.dat files... Just plop the extra.dat into
/usr/loca/uvscan/datfiles/current directory to use it. The next update
(via update_virus_scanners) will "move on", so no "extra" worries:-).
(BTW, You should update your engine to 4400:)

-- Glenn