Which Bayes files?

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Thu Mar 3 16:44:01 GMT 2005

Very true, I do the same... Since I'm a MailWatch-user, where this is
a prerequisite.
If you can determine which files are the "primaries" (ie. what MS is
using), it would be easy to move them wherever you'd like... Just see
to it that the Run As MS user can get at them fro rw.
Look below for further comments.

> --
> Martin Hepworth
> Snr Systems Administrator
> Solid State Logic
> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300
>

> Wechsler wrote:
> > Quick query (which really boils down to my reading of the
> syntax of a
> > specific comment in Mailscanner.conf):
> >
> > I'm running Mailscanner 4.38.10 and SpamAssassin 3.0.2 on a
> Debian-Sarge
> >  server, with Exim 4.44 (all from Debian's testing packages).
> >
> > Both exim and mailscanner run as the user 'Debian-exim'.
> >
> > I have:
> > SpamAssassin User State Dir = /var/lib/MailScanner
> >
> > in Mailscanner.conf
> > This file tells me that:
> >
> > # The per-user files (bayes, auto-whitelist, user_prefs) are looked
> > # for here and in ~/.spamassassin/. Note the files are mutable.
> >
> > Leaving aside the fact that I dunno what "mutable" means in this
> > context, what does '~' mean. OK, it's a home directory, but
> is it the
> > home of the mail recipient or of the 'user' that
> MailScanner's running as?
SA is run by MS, so in this case it should be the Debian-exim user.

> > Asking that another way (humour me for completeness!),
> which bayes files
> > is SA looking at in my case?
~Debian-exim/.spamassassin/....

> > And: Is there any way I can get MS to tell me where it's
> looking, or how
> > much Bayes data (if any) it's finding to work on? I get the
> odd feeling
> > I'm sending the training data to the wrong place at the moment...
Not MS, but SA. "su - Debian-exim" and run
spamassassin -D -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --lint 2>&1
| grep bayes
(If you use MailWatch, there's a convenient link to click in the
"Other" section... One of the reasons you need be specific about
bayes_* placement in MW (the other being sa-learn)).

Most of this is deducible from the list archives, and the available
docs;)

Cheers
-- Glenn