Beta release 4.39.4

Rick Cooper rcooper at DWFORD.COM
Wed Mar 2 14:02:53 GMT 2005

Yes, I sent several last year (you will see part of the Unrar code commented
out in Message.pm) and he used a few but did not use (I sent five or six):

        Logging the actual recipient(s) in the log (standard does host only), as
well as the subject in a fairly easy
        to parse format, all the new stuff is placed at the end of the standard log
line.

        UnpackRar code that function does the same as the UnPackZip function does.
Is used if unrar is
        somewhere on your path, skipped if it is not. This also allows the
filename/type checks to work
        the same as with zip files

        Code to handle archives with duplicate file names as the archive (nested
also). I am not sure if Julian
        ever worked this out himself or not, I never saw mention of it again after
I pointed out the MS would
        skip this condition. For instance if an attachment File.Zip contains a file
named File.Zip MS will skip
        it and not unpack it (because it thinks it already did). My work around is
not elegant
        (I prepend a time stamp to the file name). The problem with this approach
is it would break some file
        name checks, if they are very specific, but it gets the file checked at
least.

I also wrote a patch that allows you to have different file name/type
rules/rulesets for files contained within archives as opposed to just
disabling unpacking and checking archives if you need to pass certain files
in archives that you do not pass raw.

I can understand why he skipped the logging thing, it changes the entire
format of the spam logging line, but with that information I can send myself
reports of what was tagged as spam that include the sender, recipients,
scoring information and subject, and ninety out of a hundred times I don't
have to bother looking at the message to determine if it truly is spam or
not.

I also know he is not in favor of having two sets of file name/type rules,
one for raw and one for archives, because he fears it would be to
complicated for some admins... So I understand that one.

I can understand the code to handle file names that are duplicated within an
archive (the file name/type checks) but it seems a big hole in security to
me.

I never heard why he didn't use the Unpack Rar code, and I never understood
why it wasn't used.

So I just make new patches every time a new release comes out, I apply them
and propagate the patched version to all my mail servers. Kind of sucks when
there are a lot of major changes though. I wish they were all in there so I
didn't have to mess with it, but I think Julian has pretty good vision so I
am sure there is a good reason why they didn't "make the cut", perhaps they
are just to specific to my needs/wants

Rick

believed to be clean.