ClamV updates

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at WOODMACLAW.COM
Thu Jun 30 15:46:30 IST 2005

Thank you for the replies, however I still cannot quite figure this out
as I am still getting the outdated clamav message in my logwatch.

I think I know the problem but I do not know how to fix it.

- If I just type freshclam anywhere, it saids that it is up to date.
How can I see what install of freshclam that it is using?

- If I type /usr/bin/freshclam I get the outdated message.  I had a big
newbie moment on this one.  I thought that if I change to the /usr/bin
directory and run freshclam that the machine would use the freshclam in
that directory.  Therefore I thought in the past that the
/usr/bin/freshclam was up to date.  However this is not the case and
this is the install that seems that logwatch uses.

- If I type /root/clamav/bin/freshclam, I get:

ERROR: Please edit the example config file
/root/clamav/etc/freshclam.conf.ERROR: Please edit the example config
file /root/clamav/etc/clamd.conf.    ERROR: Can't parse the config file
/root/clamav/etc/clamd.conf

So this freshclam doesn't even seem to be configured.

- If I type /usr/local/bin/freshclam I get:
ClamAV update process started at Thu Jun 30 09:42:59 2005
main.cvd is up to date (version: 32, sigs: 34720, f-level: 5, builder:
tkojm)
daily.cvd is up to date (version: 960, sigs: 1401, f-level: 5, builder:
diego)

Here is the command "locate freshclam" if this helps any.  You can
probably see that it is installed more than once.

/root/clamav/bin/freshclam
/root/clamav/etc/freshclam.conf
/root/clamav/man/man1/freshclam.1
/root/clamav/man/man5/freshclam.conf.5
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log.2
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log.4
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log.1
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log.3
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log
/var/log/freshclam.log
/etc/freshclam.conf
/etc/freshclam.conf.rpmnew
/etc/logrotate.d/freshclam
/etc/cron.daily/freshclam
/usr/bin/freshclam
/usr/local/bin/freshclam
/usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf
/usr/local/man/man1/freshclam.1
/usr/local/man/man5/freshclam.conf.5
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.85.1/freshclam.conf
/usr/share/man/man1/freshclam.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/freshclam.conf.5.gz

So the /usr/local/bin/freshclam seems to be the one that is up to date.
The other 2 installs are not.  So it seems that I have it installed 3
times! Argg.  How do I get logwatch/mailscanner/basically the whole
machine to use one version of clamav and it be the correct one?

Please any suggestion on how to clean up this clamav mess that I created
it appreciated.

Billy Pumphrey
IT Manager
Wooden & McLaughlin