I've neglected Mailscanner and my setup for to long...

Tue Jun 28 09:09:46 IST 2005

Hi Jason

first of all upgrade sa to 3.0.4 theres a DOS problem with 3.0.3 and it
fixes some URL parsing problems as well..

As to makeing SA better, make sure you have all the Surbl.org URI-RBL's
installed - SA 3.0.4 has the jp URI-RBL as well by default.

Adding in the URI-BLACK can also help -- see http://www.uribl.com/

As for the extra rules, you need post300 as you are running a version
after 3.0.0.

Yes they go in the same dir as local.cf and you can auto updates them
with a rulesdujour script. See the wiki on this and also for some
specific things you may need to turn off if you use the
bogus_virus_warnings.cf as well.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Jason Williams wrote:
> And I really need to address it now.
> I won't lie in the fact that I have not stayed up on my MS setup as much
> as I should have. Now it is time to quit messing around and address a
> few things with my setup and I thought i'd ask here for some suggestions.
>
> My setup:
>
> FreeBSD 4.10
> MS - 4.42
> ClamAv - 0.86.1
> SA - 3.0.3
>
> Since i've  had this setup (over a year now) it has done a marvelous job
> and taking care of business. However, because I am the only IT person at
> my company and I have way to many tasks, recently, I have let things
> slipped on my server and that is my own fault. Now it's time to fix it.
>
> My main questions really focus around two areas:
>
> 1.) Making SpamAssassin better at picking up spam (a lot has been
> getting through lately)
> 2.) making better use of MCP (hell, I don't even have it turned on!)
>
> I'll be honest in that I feel overwhelmed with my task, but that is
> mostly due to the fact of the other tasks I have in the wings and not
> directly because of my setup.
>
> Ok, so I will just fire away.
>
> How do I make SA better?
>
> I currently have 'surbl' setup and it seems to be going a decent job,
> but I need better results. I've been pouring over www.rulesemporium.com
> as well as the wiki site for SA. Here are my questions:
>
> Looking at the 'rules' section of rulesemporium, which *.cf files come
> recommended? Or is it better to just go with RulesduJour? On that same
> page, i am a bit confused on this section:
>
> RDJ usage: add either "SARE_REDIRECT" (pre3.0.0) or
> "SARE_REDIRECT_POST300" (post3.0.0) to "TRUSTED_RULESETS"
>
> I guess my main question is, where does this go? Local.cf rules?
> Also, if I download some of these rules for instance, do they go in
> /etc/mail/spamassassin? or elsewhere?
>
> I'll stop right there for now. I guess for now, it's a matter of getting
> SA and MS setup properly and with max effectiveness as possible.
>
> I appreciate the feedback. I apologize for any frustrations that came
> out in this email. It has been coming for a long time now.
>
> Best,
>
> Jason

the system manager.