I've neglected Mailscanner and my setup for to long...

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Mon Jun 27 23:52:17 IST 2005

Mark Nienberg spake the following on 6/27/2005 12:57 PM:
> Jason Williams wrote:
>
>> And I really need to address it now.
>> I won't lie in the fact that I have not stayed up on my MS setup as
>> much as I should have. Now it is time to quit messing around and
>> address a few things with my setup and I thought i'd ask here for some
>> suggestions.
>>
>> My setup:
>>
>> FreeBSD 4.10
>> MS - 4.42
>> ClamAv - 0.86.1
>> SA - 3.0.3
>>
>> Since i've  had this setup (over a year now) it has done a marvelous
>> job and taking care of business. However, because I am the only IT
>> person at my company and I have way to many tasks, recently, I have
>> let things slipped on my server and that is my own fault. Now it's
>> time to fix it.
>>
>> My main questions really focus around two areas:
>>
>> 1.) Making SpamAssassin better at picking up spam (a lot has been
>> getting through lately)
>> 2.) making better use of MCP (hell, I don't even have it turned on!)
>>
>> I'll be honest in that I feel overwhelmed with my task, but that is
>> mostly due to the fact of the other tasks I have in the wings and not
>> directly because of my setup.
>>
>> Ok, so I will just fire away.
>>
>> How do I make SA better?
>>
> I find that the most effective parts of SA are its own Bayes and the
> add-ons for razor, pyzor and DCC.  So I would recommend getting all of
> those working well first. SURBL is built-in and automatic for recent SA
> so you don't have to do anything special to turn it on.
I second that! I thought my setup was wonderful, but when I added razor
and DCC, WOW! Very little spam getting through, and what does is marked
as such, with scores just barely under the threshold.
You might consider the Rules_Du_joir script if you want to add more
rules to your setup. Steve Swaney at www.fsl.com has a ready to go setup
for it. I might add pyzor, but that will be down the road. Don't want to
stir the pot too much, everything is simmering along just peachy right now.

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |