I've neglected Mailscanner and my setup for to long...

Mark Nienberg mark at TIPPINGMAR.COM
Mon Jun 27 20:57:15 IST 2005

Jason Williams wrote:

> And I really need to address it now.
> I won't lie in the fact that I have not stayed up on my MS setup as
> much as I should have. Now it is time to quit messing around and
> address a few things with my setup and I thought i'd ask here for some
> suggestions.
>
> My setup:
>
> FreeBSD 4.10
> MS - 4.42
> ClamAv - 0.86.1
> SA - 3.0.3
>
> Since i've  had this setup (over a year now) it has done a marvelous
> job and taking care of business. However, because I am the only IT
> person at my company and I have way to many tasks, recently, I have
> let things slipped on my server and that is my own fault. Now it's
> time to fix it.
>
> My main questions really focus around two areas:
>
> 1.) Making SpamAssassin better at picking up spam (a lot has been
> getting through lately)
> 2.) making better use of MCP (hell, I don't even have it turned on!)
>
> I'll be honest in that I feel overwhelmed with my task, but that is
> mostly due to the fact of the other tasks I have in the wings and not
> directly because of my setup.
>
> Ok, so I will just fire away.
>
> How do I make SA better?

I find that the most effective parts of SA are its own Bayes and the
add-ons for razor, pyzor and DCC.  So I would recommend getting all of
those working well first. SURBL is built-in and automatic for recent SA
so you don't have to do anything special to turn it on.

--
Mark Nienberg, SE
Tipping Mar + associates