I've neglected Mailscanner and my setup for to long...

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Mon Jun 27 20:47:46 IST 2005

And I really need to address it now.
I won't lie in the fact that I have not stayed up on my MS setup as much
as I should have. Now it is time to quit messing around and address a
few things with my setup and I thought i'd ask here for some suggestions.

My setup:

FreeBSD 4.10
MS - 4.42
ClamAv - 0.86.1
SA - 3.0.3

Since i've  had this setup (over a year now) it has done a marvelous job
and taking care of business. However, because I am the only IT person at
my company and I have way to many tasks, recently, I have let things
slipped on my server and that is my own fault. Now it's time to fix it.

My main questions really focus around two areas:

1.) Making SpamAssassin better at picking up spam (a lot has been
getting through lately)
2.) making better use of MCP (hell, I don't even have it turned on!)

I'll be honest in that I feel overwhelmed with my task, but that is
mostly due to the fact of the other tasks I have in the wings and not
directly because of my setup.

Ok, so I will just fire away.

How do I make SA better?

I currently have 'surbl' setup and it seems to be going a decent job,
but I need better results. I've been pouring over www.rulesemporium.com
as well as the wiki site for SA. Here are my questions:

Looking at the 'rules' section of rulesemporium, which *.cf files come
recommended? Or is it better to just go with RulesduJour? On that same
page, i am a bit confused on this section:

RDJ usage: add either "SARE_REDIRECT" (pre3.0.0) or
"SARE_REDIRECT_POST300" (post3.0.0) to "TRUSTED_RULESETS"

I guess my main question is, where does this go? Local.cf rules?
Also, if I download some of these rules for instance, do they go in
/etc/mail/spamassassin? or elsewhere?

I'll stop right there for now. I guess for now, it's a matter of getting
SA and MS setup properly and with max effectiveness as possible.

I appreciate the feedback. I apologize for any frustrations that came
out in this email. It has been coming for a long time now.

Best,

Jason