postfix multi recipient

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Fri Jun 24 12:53:58 IST 2005

Peter Russell said:
> smtpd_recipient_limit = 1
>
> Makes every inbound connection stop and deliver a multi recipient
> message individually, making for heaps of extra work for postfix, which
> is kinda crappy.

And indeed the sending MTA having to wait for each message to be accepted.

> So since postfix can seperate the email inbound and seperate it outbound
> with default_recipient_limit, if we use a 2 postfix instance on the same
> machine, the 1st external facing to recieve all inbound email, from here
> it could split the messages before sending to the 2nd postfix instance
> and then confgiure MailScanner to use the 2nd postfix instance?
> Performance not really being a big issue with both POstfix running on
> the same machine?

Postfix is pretty small and quite efficient so you won't notice the load
running 2 instances. However you will notice the IO chopping up the
messages (Whether that is any more with Postfix than any other MTA, I
don't know). As for MailScanner, well that will be quite hapy picking up
from the hold queue of the second instance with out issue.

> A little messy, not sure if it is worth it, might be time to learn
> another MTA?

I have been wondering that myself recently. I looked at Exim not that long
ago and developed a nasty head ache with the configuration files. At least
Postfix is simple yes, no style config (A little like MailScanner).

> I have read heaps of stuff in the postfix forum, Wietse is never going
> to implement this, and a few people have copped a spray from him for
> asking (he seems pretty uptight).

As ever. Wietse reminds me of the late Brian Clough (The ex-Nottingham
Forest Football Club manager). He is famous for stating that he was always
happy to discuss with any of his players where they thought he was getting
it wrong. After a little chat, it was agreed they could either agree with
his way or be wrong!

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy