bayes_expiry: [Was: Re: The Book -- new edition]

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Fri Jun 24 09:39:05 IST 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Kevin Miller wrote:

> [...]
> Well, that's where it all gets fuzzy.  An overview of the various options,
> i.e. wait/don't wait, lock type (flock/posix), rebuild every = X, etc.
> perhaps including some cron scripts for stopping/starting MailScanner if
> running the bayes rebuild manually, that sort of thing.  When I look at the
> FAQ/MAQ one can put all the pieces together but I've never felt entirely
> sure what "best practice" was.  Currently I have it set to wait during
> rebuild, and to trigger every 86400 but I still get bayes.lock* files daily.
> Once in a blue moon I'll get a bayes_expiry* file (or whatever it's called).
> So is it MailScanner, spamassassin/bayes, the phase of the tide?  I dunno,
> but it's all tied together so even though it may not be strictly MailScanner
> it is MS related and a frequent point of confusion.
> [...]

I thought this problem was fixed.

We used to be plagued by it: several files per day all piling up.
Various "Rebuild Bayes Every =" and "Wait During Bayes Rebuild =" choices
seemed to make little difference.

But after a flurry of discussion here on the list earlier this year,
Julian found the bug (within MS's calling of SA/Bayes); his subsequent MS
release (4.40.11?) seems to have fixed it.  (Across our three machines, I
see only one such file, and that dates back to April.  My guess is that
such (few) residual occurences are simply due to some sort of non-routine
(e.g. manual) stop (or restart) of MS whilst it is rebuilding.)

[ Our settings happen to be:
    Rebuild Bayes Every = 3600
    Wait During Bayes Rebuild = yes
and, most importantly, MS 4.40.11 .]

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :