The Book -- new edition

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Fri Jun 24 00:13:40 IST 2005

Julian Field wrote:

>>> I'd also suggest a bit more discussion on the areas where there
>>> seems to be perennial confusion such as zipped file scan depth,
>>
> Done.

Dang, you're fast!

>>> bayes lock files (mine's
>>> still wonky),
>>
> What of this is MailScanner-related, and what is SpamAssassin's
> problem? What would you like me to add, and where?

Well, that's where it all gets fuzzy.  An overview of the various options,
i.e. wait/don't wait, lock type (flock/posix), rebuild every = X, etc.
perhaps including some cron scripts for stopping/starting MailScanner if
running the bayes rebuild manually, that sort of thing.  When I look at the
FAQ/MAQ one can put all the pieces together but I've never felt entirely
sure what "best practice" was.  Currently I have it set to wait during
rebuild, and to trigger every 86400 but I still get bayes.lock* files daily.
Once in a blue moon I'll get a bayes_expiry* file (or whatever it's called).
So is it MailScanner, spamassassin/bayes, the phase of the tide?  I dunno,
but it's all tied together so even though it may not be strictly MailScanner
it is MS related and a frequent point of confusion.

It would probably be a page or two of explanation of the options and sample
scripts so maybe in an appendix?

>>> rules etc.
>>
> What extra would you like? I agree there is confusion, but I'm not
> sure what to do about it? It's a very simple system if you use it
> that way, just people don't get the hang of the fact that it just
> provides a method for creating the setting of an option dependent on
> where the message is from/to. I don't know why people don't get that
> bit, to my mind it's blindingly simple. I am obviously just not
> seeing the problem. Please help.

I think some real-world examples might help here, and this is maybe where
some of the faithful could maybe pick up the burden.  I don't use much in
the way of rules - added a whitelist, and added entries to the blacklist but
my particular needs are pretty humble.  On the other hand there have been
some slick examples of creative application of rules lists.  Perhaps a few
of the more accomplished folks could contribute a few, (which may need to be
sanitized a bit) and those also added an appendix.  There are, of course,
several examples in the book already, but something a bit more indepth
perhaps.  I think the same on custom functions would be helpful to folks -
again, perhaps those that have already written some could contribute them in
the spirit of open source.

>>>   There's some areas of the .conf file that one has
>>> to read through a couple times in order to get the big picture.
>>
> Such as?

I'll try to carve out some time to print it out and look it over.  The virus
stuff comes to mind - what happens when this option is set but this one
isn't, etc.  It's well commented in the .conf file but I'll give it a think
and see if I can come up w/more specific areas.

>>> You might also add an appendix on the joys/benefits of SMGateway
>>> over and above MS.  A succinct description of the advantages of
>>> using SMGateway over a "roll your own" instance might help w/sales
>>> (good for you) and for those in an email admin role but whose
>>> primary job is not email administration it might help them make a
>>> case to their PHBs that buying a supported product is in their best
>>> interest (good for them).
>>
> I'll mention that to Steve (Swaney and Freegard) and see what they can
> provide.

Thanks for all you do...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500