The Book -- new edition

Bill Smith vinet138 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 23 23:18:52 IST 2005

Hi There,

What i think the book really should have is an example of every rule set
(MailScanner.conf) so it make it easy to fowllow.
explain how these rules set work and how to to create them.
I have known people who find it hard to understand on how to create new
rule set even after bought the book. escpecially their back ground is
pure GUI.

Hope it is not too much.

Bill.

Julian Field <MailScanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:

      At 10:39 am 2005-06-23, you wrote:

      >> Julian Field wrote:
      >> > I am working on a new edition of The Book(tm).
      Currently, I have just
      >> > updated the content to reflect all the new options that
      have been
      >> > added since the last edition, so that it is correct up
      to and
      >> > including 4.43.
      >> >
      >> > What else would people like to see in the book? Minor
      changes and
      >> > additions would be preferred to ideas that involve me
      writing another
      >> > 100 pages!
      >> >
      >> > All ideas welcome, as usual.
      >>
      >> I'd also suggest a bit more discussion on the areas where
      there seems
      >> to be
      >> perennial confusion such as zipped file scan depth,

      Done.

      ! >> bayes lock files (mine's
      >> still wonky),

      What of this is MailScanner-related, and what is
      SpamAssassin's problem?
      What would you like me to add, and where?

      >> rules etc.

      What extra would you like? I agree there is confusion, but
      I'm not sure
      what to do about it? It's a very simple system if you use it
      that way,
      just people don't get the hang of the fact that it just
      provides a
      method for creating the setting of an option dependent on
      where the
      message is from/to. I don't know why people don't get that
      bit, to my
      mind it's blindingly simple. I am obviously just not seeing
      the problem.
      Please help.

      >> There's some areas of the .conf file that one has
      >> to read through a couple times in order to get the big
      picture.

      Such as?

      >> You might also add an appendix on the joys/benefits of
      SMGateway over
      >> and
      >> above MS. A succinct description o! f the advantages of
      using
      >> SMGateway over
      >> a "roll your own" instance might help w/sales (good for
      you) and for
      >> those
      >> in an email admin role but whose primary job is not email
      >> administration it
      >> might help them make a case to their PHBs that buying a
      supported
      >> product is
      >> in their best interest (good for them).

      I'll mention that to Steve (Swaney and Freegard) and see what
      they can
      provide.

      - --
      Julian Field

      PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC 7222 11F6 5947 1415
      B654

      Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/)
      and
      the archives
      (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

      Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the
      website!