MailScanner + webmail - issues?

Nigel kendrick support-lists at PETDOCTORS.CO.UK
Thu Jun 23 09:50:48 IST 2005

>Hi,
>
>Brand new to MailScanner - using it in conjunction with ASSP for more
complete content protection. Here's my config:

>Platform: CentOS 4
>Server:   HP Proliant 3GHz Xeon, 1GB RAM 80GB IDE
>MTA:      Postfix
>Other:    ASSP (assp.sf.net), @Mail (client mode only)
>
>[Snip]
>
>After installing MailScanner, it is taking anywhere from 30 seconds to 3
minutes for an email message to be sent from the webmail interface. I don't
understand this because I'm not sure how MS would interface with the traffic
at this point, shouldn't it just scan the mail once it has returned to this
box via the outgoing channel?

I possibly have the same (or similar) Proliant as you, with 768MB RAM
running CentOS4, MailScanner and PostFix with Squirrelmail, ClamAV and
SpamAssassin (2 x 300GB mirrored SATA disks)

MailScaqnner delays are maybe 4-12 seconds and emails sent from our Web
interface (Squirrelmail) are processed pretty much straightaway too.

First thought it to check DNS resolution - are you running a caching name
server on the box? Might be worth having a look through this howto and doing
the first part to setup the caching name server bit:

http://www.hughesjr.com/content/view/29/30/Guides

Only do steps 1-5.

Hope this helps.

NK