Postfix: Mails aren't delivered with MS 4.41.3

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Wed Jun 22 17:30:48 IST 2005

Jacques Caruso said:
> Le Mardi 21 Juin 2005 22:37, Drew Marshall a écrit :
>> I would give your machine 2 IP addresses. One 'internal' and one
>> external. The external one use the standard hold queue set up with,
>> the second specify as
>> [SNIP]
>> in master.cf so you get no MailScanner involvement at all.
>
> This won't work for me, as mails to be relayed also enter from the
> external queue (the server acts as a backup MX for several domains).
> The real solution would be to move the relay server to another, but
> this would involve modifying a number of DNS records, some of which I
> don't have control over. Hence, it is inconvenient to do at the moment.

Fair enough

>> Which shouldn't be touched by MailScanner as it's using the proven to
>> be unreliable defer method. you will end up with duplicated/
>> truncated messages.
>
> Actually, this hasn't happened here since a *very* long time (at least
> one year), hence I consider the problem to be irrelevant. If it does
> reappear, I'll reconsider my position.

It's pleasing to hear and if you are happy to take the risk, that's good.

>> change your master.cf as I suggested above. The other option, which I
>> would not recommend is to change to the following in main.cf;
>>
>> hash_queue_names = deferred, defer, incoming
>
> Well, I just did the reverse (removing all hashing) as in the end,
> hashed queues aren't that useful (we haven't got any performance
> problems) and are more of a pain to work with than anything else.

Indeed. The problem is that MailScanner is checking the incoming directory
(That is the one it is collecting from) and setting the out going one (The
one it puts mail into when it's been cleaned etc) to be the same. So you
can just remove hashing from the deferred queue and leave the defer as
hashed if it's easier or what ever mix suits as long as both sides are the
same (In this instance your problem came up because the Postfix defaults
happen to be different from the eyes of MS)

>> which will solve your problem, but not your setup.
>
> Sure, but I'm reluctant to radically change the setup as it served me
> well for a long time now. « Never touch a working system »,
> remember ? :-)

Yeah, fair point well made :-)

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous