Postfix: Mails aren't delivered with MS 4.41.3

Jacques Caruso jacques at MONACO.NET
Wed Jun 22 15:10:37 IST 2005

Le Mardi 21 Juin 2005 22:37, Drew Marshall a écrit :
> I would give your machine 2 IP addresses. One 'internal' and one
> external. The external one use the standard hold queue set up with,
> the second specify as
> [SNIP]
> in master.cf so you get no MailScanner involvement at all.

This won't work for me, as mails to be relayed also enter from the
external queue (the server acts as a backup MX for several domains).
The real solution would be to move the relay server to another, but
this would involve modifying a number of DNS records, some of which I
don't have control over. Hence, it is inconvenient to do at the moment.

> Which shouldn't be touched by MailScanner as it's using the proven to
> be unreliable defer method. you will end up with duplicated/
> truncated messages.

Actually, this hasn't happened here since a *very* long time (at least
one year), hence I consider the problem to be irrelevant. If it does
reappear, I'll reconsider my position.

> change your master.cf as I suggested above. The other option, which I
> would not recommend is to change to the following in main.cf;
>
> hash_queue_names = deferred, defer, incoming

Well, I just did the reverse (removing all hashing) as in the end,
hashed queues aren't that useful (we haven't got any performance
problems) and are more of a pain to work with than anything else.

> which will solve your problem, but not your setup.

Sure, but I'm reluctant to radically change the setup as it served me
well for a long time now. « Never touch a working system »,
remember ? :-)

Cheers,
--
[ Jacques Caruso <jacques at monaco.net>                  Développeur PHP ]