Web Interface Status

Peter Russell pete at ENITECH.COM.AU
Mon Jun 20 23:23:23 IST 2005

David C.M. Weber wrote:
> Just took a look at SMGateway, and I've got a few questions.
>
> I have an existing MailScanner/MailWatch setup.  Granted MailWatch isn't
> perfect, but it's easier to manage than going in via the command line.
>
> SMGateway looks sort of like a rebranding of MailScanner w/ its own
> bells and whistles.  It looked like they want you to blow away your mail
> gateway, and reinstall w/ their software in RPM form.  All fine and
> good, but I have a fully functional mail gateway where there really
> isn't an option to do this.

In this case you are correct, it is a replacement to your existing
mailscanner implmentation , it is a commercial product that they are
kindly allowing us to use without charge. AFAIK it cant be used just as
a gui to your existing gateway.

> Is/Was the "next version" of MailScanner's interface to have a "lighter
> weight" version of an interface similar to MailWatch, or more industrial
> similar to this SMGateway?  Is there anyway to roll out this "updated"
> version on the same box?  It's kind of nervous that I'd be committing to
> essentially a fork of the MailWatch project.  What are the chances that
> they deviate significant?

I wonder if you have spoken to Steve at all about MailWatch? Maybe he
would welcome the help to his project, and probably new features etc?