OT: "OMG YOU SENT TEH VIRUSESS"

Craig Daters craig at WESTPRESS.COM
Wed Jun 15 21:45:47 IST 2005

On Jun 15, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Matt Kettler wrote:

> I personally don't think it's bad form to gently warn them about
> sending such
> things.
>
> I also take the step of warning the admin if it continues, and outright
> blacklisting their server with an /etc/mail/access entry if I get more
> than 5
> from them in a 24 hour period.
>
> Once warned, I treat such things as nothing short of intentional
> misconfiguration to support DDoS attacks, and I treat the offending
> networks
> accordingly.
>
> Although I've not seen such a case so far, I don't think it would be
> inappropriate to call an upstream provider and request they be
> shutdown if the
> load ever broke 2000 attempts/hr (about 1 every 2 seconds). At that
> point it's
> turned into an outright flooding attack.
>
> While all that might sound a little extreme, how many of you would
> block traffic
> from a known smurf amplifier that kept being used to hit your network?
> To me,
> there's no difference between a post-delivery virus/spam autoresponder
> and a
> smurf amplifier, it's just TCP/SMTP based instead of ICMP/echo.

I agree with Matt, and I found a good solution for handling floods to
be "Vispan" (http://www.while.homeunix.net/mailstats). This throttles
flood attacks and will modify the Sendmail access file appropriately.
It is very configurable, and after a set time limit will remove IP
addresses it has added. I found this to really come in handy for "Virus
Warning" messages. It also provides very nice graphical statistics for
your mailserver. It can be set to add a mailserver's IP address to the
access file if it sees X amount of messages from that server in X
amount of minutes. It can be set to email someone when it adds to the
access database or not.

Since I have upgraded to RHEL4, I have had trouble getting it installed
however, so I am without it at the moment and missing it :) Maybe this
can help you Jason?

- ---
Craig Daters (craig at westpress.com)
Systems Administrator

West Press
1663 West Grant Road
Tucson, Arizona 85745

(520) 624-4939 x208
(520) 624-2715 fax
www.westpress.com

--
Please note: It is the policy of West Press that all e-mail
sent to and from any @westpress.com address may be recorded

This message has been scanned for UCE (spam), viruses,
and dangerous content, and is believed to be clean