OT: Blocking oversized messages during SMTP transaction

Jim Holland mailscanner at MANGO.ZW
Wed Jun 15 00:33:41 IST 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Matt Kettler wrote:

> > Sorry to be a little off topic here, but we have a sendmail issue that I
> > hope someone might be able to assist with.  It is driving us mad!
> >
> > We have only very limited bandwidth - 64k for 2,500 (yes) e-mail users -
> > so need to utilise our bandwidth as efficiently as possible.  We have
> > therefore configured the maximum message size in sendmail 8.13.1 to 1.5 MB.
> > This normally works fine with intelligent mail systems that understand
> > what "250-SIZE 1500000" means.
>
> Which exact sendmail options did you set for this?
>
> There are several different options which act in related ways, but not
> quite the same. For example, did you set SMTP_MAILER_MAX or
> MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE, or both?

I used only the MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE option.  Would the SMTP_MAILER_MAX option
work differently and achieve what we need?

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service