OT Sendmail help on new sendmail/MS/SA install

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Tue Jun 14 17:24:17 IST 2005

Glenn

I recently set up two authenticating SMTP servers on RH AS 3 systems
using Sendmail.

These do not themselves run MailScanner + SpamAsaassin, etc, but simply
relay the mail they receive to other mail relays here that do.

I made some notes of what I did that might be of some assistance.

The two servers authenticate against a Unix password domain served by a
NIS server here. If you are authenticating against a local password file
or using some other authentication mechanism then ignore the NIS steps
and change the sendmail.mc file definitions accordingly.

1. /etc/nsswitch.conf

   passwd: compat
   shadow: compat

1a. /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow

   Add the "+" escape line to end of ecah file.

2. Ensure /etc/yp.conf lists our three NIS servers.

   Do once on server "domainname ucs_sys5" to set NIS domain name.

   chkconfig ypbind on

   service ypbind start

3. Need /etc/init.d/sendmail enabled and /etc/init.d/MailScanner
disabled.

   Edited 'sendmail' script to stop rebuild of virtusertable and
friends.

4. Edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables to allow connections to ports 465 & 587
   as well as port 25 for SMTP.

   service iptables restart

5. /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

   The M4 macro definitions below are for a server that requires
STARTTLS to be  negotiated first before SMTP AUTH. This is because in
our case plain Unix password have to be exchanged between the clients
and the server.

   You will need most of these features in your sendmail.mc file. Change
location
   of files as appropriate for your site.

define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `goaway,noetrn')dnl
define(`confDEF_CHAR_SET', `iso-8859-1')dnl
define(`confCACERT_PATH',`/etc/mail/certs')
define(`confCACERT',`/etc/mail/certs/ca-bundle.crt')
define(`confSERVER_CERT',`/etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem')
define(`confSERVER_KEY',`/etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem')
define(`confCLIENT_CERT',`/etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem')
define(`confCLIENT_KEY',`/etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem')
dnl These AUTH options force a secure link to be negotiated _before_
dnl plain login/password authentication can be used. Thus in the first
dnl EHLO response STARTTLS is offered then a new set of options is
offered
dnl this time including AUTH.
define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p y')dnl
dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `')dnl
dnl smtp = 25
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Name=MTA,Modify=Ea')
dnl smtps = 465
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps,Name=TLSMTA,Modify=Ea')
dnl submission = 587
dnl There is no way to directly change the settings of MSA in .mc file.
dnl Workaroud below the 'no_default_msa' option prevents automatic
creation
dnl of an mc configuration entry for an MSA. We then insert our own
dnl declaration with our new settings.
FEATURE(`no_default_msa')
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission,Name=MSA,Modify=Ea')

6. Need /etc/init.d/sendmail enabled and /etc/init.d/MailScanner
disabled.

   Edited 'sendmail' script to stop rebuild of virtusertable and
friends.

7. Edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables to allow connections to ports 465 & 587
   as well as port 25 for SMTP.

   service iptables restart

8. /etc/mail/smtpauth.mc

   Build from MC definition thus: m4 sendmail.mc >sendmail.cf

6. /etc/mail/certs

   Location of certs used by sendmail is /etc/mail/certs.

   To test the servers (smtpauth1 & smtpauth2), on each machine did:

   (i) cd /usr/share/ssl/certs
       make sendmail.pem
       [Answer the prompts sensibly, Only important one is the server
        name which must be the FQDN (ie. smtpauth1.ncl.ac.uk)].
   (ii) cp sendmail.pem /etc/mail/certs
   (iii) edited /etc/mail/sendmail.cf so that the lines with the strings
           /etc/mail/certs/sendmail_cert.pem
           /etc/mail/certs/sendmail_key.pem
         become
           /etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem
           /etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem

          NB: Should update sendmail.mc to make this change permanent.
   (iv) service sendmail start

I hope this info might give you some hints as to how to progress things.

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
                           University of Newcastle,
                           Newcastle upon Tyne,
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.