OT Sendmail help on new sendmail/MS/SA install

DNSAdmin dnsadmin at 1BIGTHINK.COM
Tue Jun 14 16:41:58 IST 2005

Hello All,

I am already knee-deep into a new server that is implementing sendmail.
Yes, I know I will get an earful of "not the appropriate list" or "you
should really try/use QMail or Postfix." I don't know where else I could
get an expert answer to this.

I have a fresh MailScanner, SpamAssassin, Sendmail install on CentOS 3.4
(equivalent to RedHat 3.0 ES). I just cannot seem to put all the pieces of
SMTP_AUTH together. I have a server that will relay mail if you spoof one
of my addresses. I used to use popb4smtp and qpopper on an older sendmail
installation, but It seems they are quite old and outdated?

I have hit the Search engines and the sendmail.org site. I have found all
kinds of links that have pieces of the puzzle, but no one puts it all
together in a simple, concise, do this, this and this, TEST and be happy. I
have tried many of the pieces and still get no Relaying at all. However,
I'm anticipating the state where I end up unacceptably insecure and a
gaping gateway waiting for a SPAMMER to poke holes!

Some examples of my reading thus far:
http://www.sendmail.org/m4/anti_spam.html
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/check.html
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/relayingdenied.html
http://www.linux-sec.net/Mail/Sendmail/
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=589&forum=31&post_id=1967#forumpost1967

So far this appears the most promising:
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/roaming.html

Is it really that bad??? This does not appear to be simple. It looks like a
good opportunity for me to wreck the server!

Please! Links? Help? Am I suffering TMI?

I am going to have all kinds of Windows Outlook, Mac Entourage, Eudora,
Thunderbird users some of which who will not want to or understand how to
authenticate over SSL. A few might. I will have roaming users. I will work
on TLS/SSL after I get some sort of SMTP authentication working. It will
have to be a plain old ISP-style mail server to start, but I need SMTP
authentication!

Thanks,
Glenn Parsons

believed to be clean.
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/
Configuration by Glenn Parsons dnsadmin-at-1bigthink.com