Password protected file - PW protected XLS, PDF & MDB files blocked - why?

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Mon Jun 13 12:14:08 IST 2005

Since upgrading to MS 4.43.2-1 and Sophos 3.94 am finding that attempts
to send password protected XLS, PDF and MDB files are being blocked.

I have "Block Encrypted Messages = no" in MailScanner.conf so am at a
loss to know how I can stop this behaviour. What I am seeing appears to
be different to that which Jeff Earickson reported earlier this month as
I am not getting an error from Sophos (or at least one I can see).

My logs say, for example:

Jun 13 10:37:08 cheviot2 MailScanner[21097]: Password protected file
./j5D9b3iZ027126/ISpwdprot.xls
Jun 13 10:37:08 cheviot2 MailScanner[21097]: Virus Scanning: Sophos
found 1 infections

Suggestions on workarounds welcomed.

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
                           University of Newcastle,
                           Newcastle upon Tyne,
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.