how to stop russian spam?

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Fri Jun 10 00:21:49 IST 2005

Fractal IT Dept. wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> To be honest, I have no idea if we get russian ham or not. We have
> hundreds of users on the mail server, so it's entirely possible that we
> do get russian ham. Assuming for a moment that russian ham is happening,
> is there any way to filter out the russian spam? Do the bayes filters
> even understand other languages?

Bayes filters don't care about language... To bayes, a word is just a collection
of letters that is probably spam or probably not spam. There's no language
analysis, it's all based on training frequencies.

Thus your best "quick any easy" tactic would be to train those spams.

This will wind up impacting any Russian ham as well, but not too severely as
they will have a lot of words that don't overlap the spam profile. Worst case
you wind up having to train a couple Russian hams before bayes recognizes the
"neutral ground" tokens for the Russian language.

> Failing that, is it possible to use rulesets to specify which domains
> will accept russian emails?

I don't know of any, but maybe someone else odes.