little off topic: Am I an open relay?

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Tue Jun 7 16:42:43 IST 2005

Steve,

Thanks for the heads-up, especially since we are testing out Thunderbird
right now.
Well, I figured out for the most part what the problem was. It appears
one of my users computer is loaded with spyware. *sigh*
I was able to watch my server and catch a piece of the mail. When I
broke down the headers, the orginating IP address was from my internal
network. Which completely threw me off as well as piss me off. Once I
unplugged the persons computer from the network, everything was fine. So
in essence, that computer turned into a mailserver. Today I will be
doing some forensic work on the computer to see just what the hell
happened (can you tell that I am still angry?)

This is another one of those things that drives me nuts because i've
been pushing for months (almost a year really) to tighten down what are
users can do, both browsing the internet and installing software.
FINALLY! After yesterday, the big wigs said "Wow, that was serious.
Maybe we should stop it. Lets do it." Ya, a day late and a dollar short.

Anyway, if anyone is curious as to what I find on the computer, shoot me
a personal email and i'll give you a full breakdown of what i find.

Thanks for the heads up Steve.

Jason