TNEF - attach winmail.dat contents to original email ?

Cade Thacker cade.thacker at ONERINGGROUP.COM
Tue Jun 7 15:41:31 IST 2005

Hi,
thanks for the responses.  Peter, you are sorta right, the winmail.dat
file *may* or *may not* contain an attachment.  If there is not an
attachment, then you are right, I think I am safe to discard it, but if
there is an attachment, I would like to reattach it, and discard the
original winmail.dat.

So I am looking at Message.pm, and at first glance, it looks like maybe I
can make some changes to that to do what I want. Obviously this is the
brains of the operation. What I am thinking is adding another entry into
MailScanner.conf to "Replace TNEF With Contents = Yes", then modifying
Message.pm to respect that flag and make the changes.  I also see that I
can write my own perl and put it in
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions.   This looks highly
promising.  Would this be a good place to put a function that does what I
want?

Is there a simpler way?

I am not looking for a step-by-step how do (although that would be
awesome :), but just which way to go (and which way not to go) would be
highly, highly appreciated.

Scott Silva wrote:

 Peter Russell wrote:

 Here is the problem:
We have some clients that continually receive winmail.dat files.
Obviously, it be best if winmail.dat would just go away, but
unfortunately that is not that case ;) What we would like to do, is to
setup the MailScanner so that when the mail is processed it will go
ahead and unpack the winmail.dat file, extract the actual attachment,
scan it for viruses, and the re-attach that to the original email,
thus discarding the original winmail.dat file.  Thus the client does
not have to bothered with the winmail.dat file.

 Winmail.dat does not always mean that there is an attachment. It means
that some one who has incorrectly configured their exchange server has
allowed the iused of the Microsoft Rich Text for external emails and the
formatting data is contained in the winmail.dat, not attachments.

Formatting data like outlook stationery, and horizontal rules and other
formatting data.

You can safely delete them, but do it with a warning to the folks
running exchange.

If the email had an attachment and was send from an incorrectly
configured exvchange environment you wouild see 2 attachments, not the
winmail.dat containing the 2nd attachment.

 I looked through the MailScanner.conf and studied the TNEF settings,
but my understanding of them is that they unpack the winmail.dat so
that the file(s) can be scanned, then just sends the original email on
it way with the winmail.dat still attached. I am just hoping to take
this one step further.

We are currently running MailScanner 4.41.3 on Fedora Core 3.

Can this be accomplished through MailScanner, or should I even dive
down into setting up a sendmail filter?  I am open to any and all
suggestions.
Thanks for your help!

 I have to dis-agree. winmail.dat can contain attachments as well as
formatting. All packed up with the TNEF encoder.
Another example of Microsoft's attempts at world domination.

 --

 - Cade Thacker -
- One Ring Group -
cade.thacker at oneringgroup.com