who is using require_rdns.m4?

Steffan Henke henker at S-H-COM.DE
Mon Jun 6 16:23:56 IST 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

> There was a thread a while back "block emails with no valid reverse DNS",
> and one of the options was Neil Rickert's require_rdns.m4 hack for
> sendmail.  I'm wondering how many people out there use this successfully?

We are happily using it for a couple of months now. Mails from hosts
without reverse DNS are rejected with an error message so the user knows
that his email has not been received.
I think this is a fair behaviour. When I look at the logs, most of the
rejected hosts are spam sources from either Korea or Brazil.
If I'm not mistaken, AOL dumps email from hosts w/o PTR records to
/dev/null.

Regards,

Steffan