Release a quarantined file (postfix)

Rakesh rakesh at NETCORE.CO.IN
Sat Jun 4 15:30:38 IST 2005

Rabie van der Merwe wrote:

>Hi Ed,
>
>I also had issues with releasing mail, here is what I did and posted to the
>group:
>
>Regards
>Rabie
>
>PS This should release anything.
>
>----snip----
>Thanx too all, it works, herewith all the changes that where required for
>MailScanner 4.39. Also to make this more foolproof, one could add a 'AND
>From: quarantine at mydomain.com' to the 'From: 127.0.0.1' (or whatever the
>email address is of the sender of the quarantine proccess and should do this
>if you have users on the local box who send mail.
>Changes to MailScanner.conf:
>Virus Scanning = %rules-dir%/virus.scan.rules Dangerous Content Scanning =
>%rules-dir%/dangerous.content.scan.rules
>Filename Rules = %rules-dir%/filename.rules Filetype Rules =
>%rules-dir%/filetype.rules Spam Checks = %rules-dir%/spam.check.rules
>
>Files:
>virus.scan.rules:
>From:   127.0.0.1       no
>FromOrTo:       default yes
>
>dangerous.content.scan.rules:
>From:   127.0.0.1       no
>FromOrTo:       default yes
>
>spam.check.rules
>From:   127.0.0.1       no
>FromOrTo:       default yes
>
>filename.rules
>From:   127.0.0.1       /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.allowall.conf
>FromOrTo:       default /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf
>
>filetype.rules:
>From:   127.0.0.1       /etc/MailScanner/filetype.rules.allowall.conf
>FromOrTo:       default /etc/MailScanner/filetype.rules.conf
>
>filename.rules.allowall.conf:
>allow   .*      -       -
>
>filetype.rules.allowall.conf:
>allow   .*      -       -
>
>Regards
>Rabie
>----snip----

Reprocessing of the mail happens if you release it from quarantine
because the mail goes back to hold as it gets processed by cleanup
(assuming tht ur using postfix) .  In postfix it usually follows a path
something like this

Internet -> SMTPD -> cleanup --> HOLD Queue

When a mail is released from quarantine using the sendmail command it
follows like this

Sendmail command invokation --> pickup --> cleanup --> HOLD Queue

So instead of writing so many rulesets to allow all the mails from the
the local machine its easier if u put override options for pickup in
your master.cf

pickup    fifo  n       -       n       60      1       pickup
 -o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks

This will cause all those mails queued due to pickup not to go on hold,
so the mails wont un-necessarily go in for MailScanner processing. Also
with this setup the notifications tht MailScanner generates will not go
into HOLD queue as well and will save MailScanner from doing some
un-necessary stuff.

--
Regards,
Rakesh B. Pal

Success is how high you reach after you hit the bottom.