"No space left on device" Which device?

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at CHIME.UCL.AC.UK
Thu Jun 2 09:12:58 IST 2005

Hi,

> Anthony Peacock wrote:
> > Hi Julian,
> >
> > Thanks for the response.  I have already checked that, which is how
> > I know that there is ~3Gb free space there at the moment.
> >
> > I guess it would be possible for enough email to arrive at one time
> > to fill that partition, but I have never seen it happen before now.
> >
> > But now that you have confirmed that is defintely the area that was
> > full during that processing run, I can keep an eye on it and look
> > into throwing some more disk at it.
> >

> Do you have /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming mapped to tmpfs?
> This could cause this if too large a batch is done at once.

No, it is on a disk partition.  It does share the same disk partition
as the mail queues etc, so there could have been an event that
temporarily filled that partition.

However, see my other email about the error in the system log about
/tmp being full.  I suspect, but haven't had the time to check, that
somewhere in the MIME:Parser stuff it uses a temporary file, and that
filled the /tmp area.

--
Anthony Peacock
"It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of