Feature Requests

Jan-Peter Koopmann Jan-Peter.Koopmann at SECEIDOS.DE
Wed Jun 1 11:33:03 IST 2005

On Mittwoch, 1. Juni 2005 2:22 Dennis Willson wrote:

> I know I will probably get flamed for this

Go away!!!

Just kidding. Why should you be flamed?

> (although this seems to be
> a much better group about those sort of things that most of the lists
> I have been on).

We are doing our best.

> A third Spam level

As Julian pointed out you could do this via a custom function. I would
suggest to raise your thresholds though and stick with two scores. Once
you tune your SpamAssassin a bit you will see _very_ few false positives.
In our setup low score is at 6 and high score at 15. We barely have any
low scoring spam comming through and I do not even remember a high
scoring spam being a false positive.

> Multiple sets of Blacklists
>     Currently I have MailScanner set to mark any email that is on any
> of the blacklists as high level Spam and not to scan it with Spam
> Assassin if it's already on a blacklist.

Is your throughput that high you cannot afford to run SpamAssassin on all
mails? Are you using those DNSBLs for tagging only or do you plan on
deleting mail based on them? If so, let the MTA do this.

Regards,
  JP

> Also an API that allows me to write my own filter system that is
> called by MailScanner similar to the way SpamAssassin is where I can
> examine all the information in the email and come back with a score.
> In MailScanner it would have the ability to define my module and
> where in the list of modules (anti-virus, SA, etc...) it's used and
> if it gets a high value whether or not to continue with the rest of
> the modules.

I agree with this one since it would make DSPAM plugins possible. But
consider this: SpamAssassin says the mail is spam with score 6. Your
filter systems says the mail is no spam. BTW: Is your filter system going
to use scores or just say spam/nospam? How should MailScanner treat the
mail? As spam? As ham?

Regards,
  JP