Feature Requests

Dennis Willson taz at TAZ-MANIA.COM
Wed Jun 1 01:22:09 IST 2005

I know I will probably get flamed for this (although this seems to be a
much better group about those sort of things that most of the lists I
have been on).

I have a couple of feature requests and I will explain why I want them as
well.

A third Spam level
    Currently I don't actually block (delete) any mail regardless of how
high the Spam rating is, but would like to. Currently I use the two Spam
levels as "might be Spam" and "most like is Spam" and I mark the subject
differently. The first I mark with [Spam?] and the high level I mark as
[**Spam**] and most of my customers filter these differently. The low
level is set at a score of 3 and the high level with a score of 7.
However I would like a third that I could set fairly high (say a score of
25) and set if for actual delete. I would have said a delete level except
that I would want to be able to set if it mark and forward to me during
some fine tuning so being able to use just a third level is best.

Multiple sets of Blacklists
    Currently I have MailScanner set to mark any email that is on any of
the blacklists as high level Spam and not to scan it with Spam Assassin
if it's already on a blacklist. However some Blacklists are more
trustworthy than others. I have my own DNSBL with 450,000 addresses I
have collected with my honey pot and of course I find mine very reliable,
there's a virus blacklist and there're others... While some of them are
not so accurate or don't have a good way for fixed servers to get off of
them. I would like to have one set of blacklists that I can set to work
where you can assign what Spam level is set if the email is found on one
or more of the blacklists and one set to actually delete if listed.

Also an API that allows me to write my own filter system that is called
by MailScanner similar to the way SpamAssassin is where I can examine all
the information in the email and come back with a score. In MailScanner
it would have the ability to define my module and where in the list of
modules (anti-virus, SA, etc...) it's used and if it gets a high value
whether or not to continue with the rest of the modules.

Thanks for listening

[IMAGE]Dennis Willson
taz at taz-mania.com
taz at scubatech.org

www.taz-mania.com

Ham: KA6LSW
GMRS: WPSJ953
SCUBA: Rescue, Wreck, Night, EANx, Nitrox Blender, UW Photographer,
Equip, Altitude

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a nice looking and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
"WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"