RBL's without SpamAssassin = how much spam is caught?

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Thu Jul 28 15:50:28 IST 2005

SpamAssassin would make a HUGE difference.  I'd estimate that I catch about
98% of the spam that flows through my boxen.
I like the RBL's you have.  I also use spamcop.  Some may frown on that, but
it works well for me.
You can use as many RBL's as you want.  I run my RBL's at the MTA, so I
reject them before they ever make it to get scanned.

Now, if we could just get our wives to quit adding us to those male
enhancements lists, the world would be good! :)

Mike

-----Original Message-----
Of Daniel Straka
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:00 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: RBL's without SpamAssassin = how much spam is caught?

I'm running MS with "Spam List = ORDB-RBL SBL+XBL" and without SpamAssassin
(my version of perl is too old for SA). Around 15-30 percent of mail is
being identified as spam. Some users are still receiving quite a bit of male
enhancement, prescription drug and software spam.
1. Would SA make a very big difference? If so how much %?
2. Are there other RBL's that work better than Spamhaus?
3. Can I use other RBL's in conjunction with Spamhaus?

Thanks,

Dan Straka
Casper College
(307)268-2399