Postfix + mailscanner corrupts messages, mailscanner stopping

Stef Morrell stef at L5NET.NET
Thu Jul 28 11:28:32 IST 2005

MailScanner mailing list wrote:
> I am getting a few messages each day appearing in the corrupt
> spool.  These are accompanied by the message in the maillog:

I've been keeping an eye on this too. Recent releases have certainly had
less corrupt messages, but I have now had one again.

It's in the form when run through postcat:

*** ENVELOPE RECORDS <id> ***
(envelope records)
*** MESSAGE CONTENTS <id> ***
(email headers, excluding mailscanner headers)
(envelope records again, slightly different from first time)
*** MESSAGE CONTENTS <id> ***
(email headers again, still no mailscanner headers)
(email body)
(mailscanner headers)
(email body again)
*** HEADER EXTRACTED <id> ***
*** MESSAGE FILE END <id> ***

The email itself contains some potentially sensitive client info, which
I can't really post on-list, though could post off-list, if that helps.

root at cyril:/opt/MailScanner# bin/MailScanner -V
Running on
Linux cyril 2.6.10-Tromix #1 SMP Fri Jan 28 11:23:23 GMT 2005 i686
pentium3 i386 GNU/Linux
This is Perl version 5.008006 (5.8.6)

This is MailScanner version 4.43.8
Module versions are:
1.00    AnyDBM_File
1.14    Archive::Zip
1.03    Carp
1.119   Convert::BinHex
1.00    DirHandle
1.05    Fcntl
2.73    File::Basename
2.08    File::Copy
2.01    FileHandle
1.06    File::Path
0.16    File::Temp
1.29    HTML::Entities
3.45    HTML::Parser
2.30    HTML::TokeParser
1.21    IO
1.10    IO::File
1.123   IO::Pipe
1.50    Mail::Header
3.05    MIME::Base64
5.417   MIME::Decoder
5.417   MIME::Decoder::UU
5.417   MIME::Head
5.417   MIME::Parser
3.03    MIME::QuotedPrint
5.417   MIME::Tools
0.10    Net::CIDR
1.08    POSIX
1.77    Socket
0.05    Sys::Syslog
1.02    Time::localtime

Optional module versions are:
1.810   DB_File
1.08    Digest
1.01    Digest::HMAC
2.33    Digest::MD5
2.10    Digest::SHA1
0.44    Inline
0.17    Mail::ClamAV
3.000004        Mail::SpamAssassin
1.997   Mail::SPF::Query
0.15    Net::CIDR::Lite
0.49    Net::DNS
missing Net::LDAP
1.94    Parse::RecDescent
0.15    SAVI
1.2     Sys::Hostname::Long
2.42    Test::Harness
0.47    Test::Simple
1.95    Text::Balanced
1.35    URI

Regards

Stef
Stefan Morrell		| Director
Tel: 0870 365 2813	| Level 5 Internet Ltd
Fax: 0192 450 7307	| Part of the Alpha Omega Group
stef at l5net.net		| stef at aoc-uk.com