Way OT: Linux Distro questions...

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Wed Jul 27 02:25:56 IST 2005

Dear list,

Most of the time SME's rely on a single piece of equipment to do more
than one thing. MailScanner often shares the same box with an SME's
mail, web, firewall and vpn functions.

An increasing number of my clients want to have an easier way to stop
some layer7 protocols at the gateway - and unless you force upon them a
lot of restrictions (no IP forwarding except for a few specific cases),
it becomes a bit cumbersome, inconvenient, or too restrictive.

Has anybody here on the list had success with any small-footprint, GPL
(and free as in beer) distros that have built-in layer7 filtering? I
know you can implement layer7 filtering with a few kernel tweaks on most
regular distros, but since there are stores downtown selling refurbished
Dell PIIs and PIIIs for less than $150 that could probably do the job
(provided I add a $5 NIC to the mix), I'd like to be able to pop a cd
into a cheap PC and have it do the filtering while leaving the
heavy-duty work (separating spam from ham, archiving mail, and keeping
viruses at bay) to the mailscanner boxen.

I'm setting the "reply-to:" to my address so I don't clutter up the list
unnecessarily... thanks for your time!

Regards,

Alex Neuman van der Hans