PostFix/Pipe Problem - SOLUTION

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Mon Jul 25 09:28:01 IST 2005

On Sun, July 24, 2005 22:52, Tom Carroll wrote:
> I figured out my problem after surfing on Google some more.  I found that
> someone who was trying to use amvis was having some similar log entries in
> their maillog concerning the transport error.
>
> They found two entries in their main.cf file.  "Local_Transport = Local"
> and
> "Virtual_Transport = Virtual".  They commented out/removed the
> "Local_Transport" entry and their setup worked fine.
>
> There were no transport entries in my main.cf file to start with.  I shut
> down mailscanner and added the "Virtual_Transport = Virtual" into the
> main.cf and restarted and the forced the requeue of all the mail using
> "postsuper -r ALL" command.  Nothing weird showed up in the log, but I
> couldn't see the mail anywhere.  It looked like it went off into the
> bit-bucket.  So, I shutdown mailscanner again and changed the entry in
> main.cf to "Local_Transport = Local", restarted MailScanner and requeued
> again with postsuper.  All my mail was delivered to their queues.
>
> It appears everything is working now.  I have no idea why ccfilter was
> being
> used because I never had that filter installed.
>
> I will monitor it and if this is the fix I will ask that the How-to be
> updated after someone can test this theory...
>
> Thanks for all your help!

Tom

Just to cover your confusion. The local delivery agent is the process used
to deliver mail to local mail files (Either Maildir or UNIX style
mailbox). In your instance your users are 'local' (i.e. they have their
mailboxes hosted on the local machine). If you ever host domains where
your box is just a gateway (See the wiki for further details) then you
will be using the virtual delivery agent which requires you to explicity
define both the user and the domain that Postfix will accept. Further
reading on this can be done here
http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html#delivering which explains it much
better ;-)

Glad things are working now. Enjoy!