RHEL3 -> RHEL4 upgrade?

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Wed Jul 20 20:02:16 IST 2005

Dhawal Doshy wrote:
> Joshua Hirsh wrote:
>
>>>     Anyone successfully upgraded a MailScanner (dedicated) server
>>> running RHEL3 (or a clone) to RHEL4?
>>

>>  Yes and no. I didn't want to take the risk, so I migrated over to a
>> different server when I did the upgrade between RHEL 3 (Tao 1) and
>> RHEL 4 (CentOS 4).
>>
>>  The upgrade can't be done "live" and is recommended to be done
>> through the use of the CD (anaconda), which was the reason behind my
>> choice to use a separate server for the migration. Plus it allowed me
>> to make sure there was absolutely no problems before taking down the
>> mail. The cutover resulted in maybe 10 seconds of downtime while I
>> swapped the IP's on the servers.
>>

>>  Cheers,
>>
>> -Joshua
>

> See if this helps
> http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=27
> => Pop in the CD, type 'linux upgradeany' at the boot prompt

Yep, knew that one.  I already updgraded with this method my development
server wich is basically a LAMP server + CVS

> and this
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=382&start=0
> => Make changes to /etc/redhat-release and forcibly upgrade a few rpms
> and then let yum take care of the rest

Not recommended by many persons, especially by Johnny Hughes (he made a
test, but the website is down, so I can't put the URL here...

> A lot of things change from 3 to 4 primarily the kernel and the
> file-system layout (ext3 over lvm2) and selinux

And udev I think.

> Anyways i tend to agree with Joshua on a complete re-install rather than
> an upgrade.. OR use the first method of a CD based upgrade (which IMO
> would be the one recommended by redhat), just make sure you take a
> complete backup of everything in any case.

That is all already in my head... I was just wondering if someone had
actually done it (or will I be the first... ;)?)

Thanks,

Ugo

--
Ugo