RHEL3 -> RHEL4 upgrade?

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at NETMAGICSOLUTIONS.COM
Wed Jul 20 19:54:55 IST 2005

Joshua Hirsh wrote:
>>	Anyone successfully upgraded a MailScanner (dedicated)
>>server running RHEL3 (or a clone) to RHEL4?
>

>  Yes and no. I didn't want to take the risk, so I migrated over to a different server when I did the upgrade between RHEL 3 (Tao 1) and RHEL 4 (CentOS 4).
>
>  The upgrade can't be done "live" and is recommended to be done through the use of the CD (anaconda), which was the reason behind my choice to use a separate server for the migration. Plus it allowed me to make sure there was absolutely no problems before taking down the mail. The cutover resulted in maybe 10 seconds of downtime while I swapped the IP's on the servers.
>

>  Cheers,
>
> -Joshua

See if this helps
http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=27
=> Pop in the CD, type 'linux upgradeany' at the boot prompt

and this
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=382&start=0
=> Make changes to /etc/redhat-release and forcibly upgrade a few rpms
and then let yum take care of the rest

A lot of things change from 3 to 4 primarily the kernel and the
file-system layout (ext3 over lvm2) and selinux

Anyways i tend to agree with Joshua on a complete re-install rather than
an upgrade.. OR use the first method of a CD based upgrade (which IMO
would be the one recommended by redhat), just make sure you take a
complete backup of everything in any case.

- dhawal