BIND vs ncsd

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Sat Jul 16 22:55:47 IST 2005

Dhawal Doshy wrote:

> Drew Marshall wrote:
>

>> Now I know the MSG SIZE is large with the Bind9 look up but there is
>> no mistaking the 271ms against Bind's 817ms.
>>
>> Hardly scientific I know but that is why I have tended to favour
>> DJBDNS. No Holy War here, if any one has ideas how to make Bind go
>> faster I'm all ears :-)   (For the record it's compiled with threads
>> on a FreeBSD 5.3 box. Unthreaded look ups were in excess of 4000ms!).
>

> Here are some *independent* results (as un-scientific as it can get)
> for 'dig cw.com'
>
> djbdns 1.05
> Pre-cache Query time: 225 msec
> Post-cache Query time: 2 msec
>
> bind 9.2.0
> Pre-cache Query time: 234 msec
> Post-cache Query time: 1 msec
>
> and here is dan's reply to knowles
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/knowles.html
>
> i am so easily influenced, but post 2nd (or was it 3rd) thoughts i'll
> put my doubts to an end and happily continue using dnscache.

Well I have just put another box over to Bind so we will see. Pre this
version of Bind (9.3.1) the look ups were slow enough that I would
notice lag on web page loading. So far I haven't so may be there is
reason for me to move...

It does become more complex as my DNS servers are also authorative for
various domains as well as caching and Bind does make that easier, only
needing one IP address (I know there is a patch but I have never quite
got there). Who knows? Only thing that is certain is I am more confused
(Which doesn't take much) as to a preference.

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy