BIND vs ncsd

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at NETMAGICSOLUTIONS.COM
Fri Jul 15 11:45:37 IST 2005

Drew Marshall wrote:
> On Fri, July 15, 2005 0:01, Michele Neylon :: Blacknight said:
>
>>On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 08:55 +1000, Peter Russell wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks will look at that now. But not just rbls, but i guess every email
>>>is subjected to a number of DNS tests, eg PTR lookups?
>>>Thanks
>>
>>Turn on logging on a DNS server and watch the logs for a few minutes :)
>>- just don't forget to turn it off!
>>
>>In our experience the DNSBL caching can help speed up mail scanning
>>which was our primary concern. We get a lot of DNS traffic anyway, so I
>>wouldn't worry about that.
>

> Personally I use DNS Cache which is part of DJBDNS
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html to do all my DNS caching work (I have found it
> faster than Bind but YMMV). If you are running all the RBL tests in
> SpamAssassin plus getting Postfix to do it's usual PTR lookups and any
> other SMTP time checks then you could well be generating upwards of half a
> dozen DNS queries per message. With enough volume of mail I could see the
> 'owner' of a near by DNS server becoming up set :-)

Personally i use djbdns as well and here a link to setting it up..
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:related_software:caching_nameserver:djbdns

but some time back i came across these comparisons which have me
re-thinking (me think??).
http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/papers/dnscomparison/

can we extend this thread into a healthy discussion (and not another
holy war) based on our personal experiences and benchmarks?

- dhawal