OT Configuring DCC and Razor

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at WOODMACLAW.COM
Thu Jul 14 22:06:10 IST 2005

> Subject: Re: OT Configuring DCC and Razor
>
> Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
> >>Subject: Re: OT Configuring DCC and Razor
> >
> > Probably a question that is going against the design of services:
> > Example
> > Mailwatch does a spamassassin lint check under the apache user
> > (correct?).  Which means that it gives different results or errors
that
> > if it is ran with the "correct" user, such as root.  This could be
> > misleading because I might think that my spamassassin has problems
and
> > it really doesn't.
> >
> > So the question is, should the best practice be to have everything
that
> > is installed to do with MailScanner use the same user?
> >

> There is a problem... if you use Sendmail as MTA with mailscanner,
then
> you must run MailScanner as root.  MailWatch runs as the web server
> user.  Do you want your web server to run as root?  No (security).
>
> All the other plugins used with MailScanner will run as the user
> MailScanner is using.
>
> I'm aware of this mess and I only use the --lint test in MailWatch is
> get the time reports with the colors.
>
> If you find a solution, plese let us know...
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Ugo

Thank you for your replies.

I think that what I have learned is not to use the mailwatch lint for
taking care of errors.  Instead run it logged in as root at the command
line.  Spamassassin -D
--prefs-file=/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --lint

I also learned a whole bunch of new stuff from figuring that out.