System variables in MailScanner.conf

Lars Kristiansen lars+lister.mailscanner at ADVENTURAS.NO
Wed Jul 13 16:03:59 IST 2005

>>> Looks like it's a FreeBSD thing as my FreeBSD boxes (5.3 & 5.4) all
>>> like
>>> $HOST and 'Undefined Variable' $HOSTNAME
>>

> Actually, just took a look at 'man bash', it says "HOSTNAME" automatically
> set to the name of the current host. :-)
>
> Chen

And something similar is mentioned for "HOST" in 'man tcsh'.
csh (actually tcsh) is default root shell in freebsd if that was not clear.

And by the way, if HOSTNAME is set in /root/.cshrc,
 "echo ${HOST}${HOSTNAME}" will return hostname twice, at least in terminal.
If not set it will only return this error message:
 "HOSTNAME: Undefined variable." instead of any output at all.
Not tested if output is different if not called from a terminal, though.

--
Hilsen from Lars