System variables in MailScanner.conf

DAve dave.list at PIXELHAMMER.COM
Wed Jul 13 14:33:56 IST 2005

James Gray wrote:
> We are currently in the process of migrating our mail gateways to a common
> operating system and configuration.  Currently they are split between CentOS
> and FreeBSD.  We found an interesting little "feature" during the most recent
> upgrade to MS 4.43.8.
>
> The config file refers to "$HOSTNAME" which on our CentOS testing box worked
> perfectly.  So we got around to pushing the config out to all the production
> machines.  Problem - only the CentOS-based machines are reporting their
> hostname, and the FreeBSD boxes aren't.  2 minutes of playing revealed we
> needed "$HOST" on FreeBSD, and "$HOTNAME" on Linux.  Bah - back to separate
> configs :(

That is a pretty small item to force a system wide change of OS IMO. You
could change the source yourself before you push it out.

> Just thought this little gem might help others.  As we're not going to be
> keeping the FreeBSD boxes, I'm not particularly heart-broken.  They are also
> fairly old (fBSD 4.6.1) which may have something to do with the "$HOST" vs
> "$HOSTNAME" thing too.  Anyone else seen this?  If this is a fBSD thing, it
> might be a handy exception to mention in the config file comments.

FBSD 4.6.1 old? What is old? If I had a FBSD 3.5 box still working and
running under a secure config I would not hesitate to keep it online. I
currently have one of my mailscanner boxes running FreeBSD 4.8 and one
running FBSD 5.3. The 4.8 box handles just as much traffic, just as well.

DAve