System variables in MailScanner.conf

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Tue Jul 12 22:45:02 IST 2005

We are currently in the process of migrating our mail gateways to a common
operating system and configuration.  Currently they are split between CentOS
and FreeBSD.  We found an interesting little "feature" during the most recent
upgrade to MS 4.43.8.

The config file refers to "$HOSTNAME" which on our CentOS testing box worked
perfectly.  So we got around to pushing the config out to all the production
machines.  Problem - only the CentOS-based machines are reporting their
hostname, and the FreeBSD boxes aren't.  2 minutes of playing revealed we
needed "$HOST" on FreeBSD, and "$HOTNAME" on Linux.  Bah - back to separate
configs :(

Just thought this little gem might help others.  As we're not going to be
keeping the FreeBSD boxes, I'm not particularly heart-broken.  They are also
fairly old (fBSD 4.6.1) which may have something to do with the "$HOST" vs
"$HOSTNAME" thing too.  Anyone else seen this?  If this is a fBSD thing, it
might be a handy exception to mention in the config file comments.

Cheers,

James
--
How do I get HOME?