SpamAssassin Timeouts

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 16:08:19 IST 2005

Edit MailScanner.conf and set
Debug = yes
Debug SpamAssassin = yes
Then shut down the MailScanner processes (leave sendmail running!)
and wait about 30 seconds.
Then get your fingers ready to thump Ctrl-S when necessary.
Run the command
     check_MailScanner
It will start spewing out debug info from SpamAssassin, as soon as it
has a message waiting to be processed.
Whenever the output pauses, press Ctrl-S and read the last few lines
to see what it is trying to do. Ctrl-Q resumes it.

Make some educated guesses from the points where it is stopping, feel
free to post here for advice.

Then reset your MailScanner.conf to its normal settings, and run
check_MailScanner again. This will start it up in its normal state.

Can someone post this to the wiki please?

On 8 Jul 2005, at 15:39, Erik van der Leun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to find more information regarding the
> spamassassin timeouts I sometimes have... Some mails are scanned
> very quickly, others timeout...
>
> I've tried several things...
>  - disabling all online blocklists (ORBB-RBL, spamhaus.org,
> spamcop.net, etc)
>  - disabling the enormous number of rulesets caused by rulesdujour
>  - updating spamassassin (and MailScanner) to the most recent versions
>  - adjusting the timeout settings to a higher value (from 40 to 60
> seconds).
>
> spamassassin --lint does not report any errors...
>
> These are the messages of maillog... it's not more detailed than this.
>
> Jul  8 16:11:40 hal9000 MailScanner[32429]: SpamAssassin timed out
> and was killed, failure 1 of 20 Jul  8 16:11:40 hal9000 MailScanner
> [32429]: SpamAssassin timed out and was killed, failure 1 of 20
>
> I'm not sure what to look for anymore...
>
> Does anybody have suggestions? :)
>
> Kind regards,
> Erik van der Leun

Julian Field