MailScanner 4.43.8 Memory Usage Extreme Growth

Ade Fewings ade at INFORMATICS.BANGOR.AC.UK
Wed Jul 6 19:09:46 IST 2005

Oh blimey, you know how sometime you can do things because you think
they make no difference, but you kinda forget it by the time you come to
test things and then wonder why it all goes a bit pear-shaped?  I
certainly do.  Very well, in fact.

Sorry to bother any/everybody, suffice it to say that the problem was
with this particular user and nothing else.

For what it's worth, I shall never again think that commenting out the
"use_bayes 0" in spam.assassin.prefs.conf is a good idea.  Any mistaken
belief that this would have no effect will never again enter my mind.

Apologies
Ade

Julian Field wrote:

> Can you try a bit of a binary chop and try to deduce which version
> first started the problem?
> 4.40.1 and 4.43.8 are a long way apart, it's going to be a pretty
> hopeless search inspecting all the code changes by eye.
>
> Ade Fewings wrote:
>
>> I've just upgraded from 4.40.11 to 4.43.8 and, with exactly the same
>> MailScanner.conf, the new MailScanner processes start and grow in
>> memory size, seemingly forever.  Switching back to 4.40.11, the
>> processes stop and stabilize at about 57M each (under prstat in
>> Solaris).  The new ones go sailing through that and only stop when I
>> kill them, at which point the machine is out of memory and swap (each
>> MailScanner being >>500M by this stage).

Ade Fewings MEng

School of Informatics, University of Wales, Bangor,
Dean Street, Bangor, Gwynedd. LL57 1UT. UK.

ade at informatics.bangor.ac.uk  www.informatics.bangor.ac.uk/~ade
Tel: +44 (0)1248 382736       Fax: +44 (0)1248 361429