AV for Windows Clients with Central Admin? {Virus Scanned}

Mark Nienberg mark at TIPPINGMAR.COM
Fri Jul 1 17:54:54 IST 2005

Jason Balicki wrote:

>Thanks to everyone who replied.
>
>I contacted Sophos and found out that they have written a
>workstation installer for version 5.0 that will run on XP
>Pro and 2K workstations.  You can then manage version 5.0
>(according to the email I got -- I haven't tested this
>yet) from the old install of Enterprise Manager.
>
>As an aside, I'm downloading that workstation installer
>right now -- 72MB.  WTF?
>
>However, they recommend that this solution not be used for
>networks larger than 10 workstations which ultimately puts
>me back where I was.

I wonder if they are saying that because they assume your Central
Install Directory (CID) is on the same machine that runs the Enterprise
Manager and they don't want to encourage you to violate Microsoft's
maximum or 10 connections to a workstation.  In my case, the Enterprise
Manager just keeps the CID up to date, but the CID itself is on a samba
share hosted by a linux file server.  There should be no violation in
that case, as the workstations don't contact the EM workstation, they
only contact the fileserver.  I think there is also supposed to be an
option in the new version for the workstations to update from a website
(like the older remote update can do), in which case the webserver would
probably be a linux machine and the EM would just keep it up to date.
Again, there would be no violation of the 10 connections rule.

--
Mark Nienberg, SE
Tipping Mar + associates