OT: SPF query

Mike michael at NOMENNESCIO.NET
Wed Jan 26 15:03:50 GMT 2005

>Behalf Of Pentland G.
>
>If a domain does have an SPF record and this mail comes from somewhere else
>then either 450 (TMEP FIAL leading to some sort of greylist) it or 550 it.
>
>would be a valid approach.
>
>Obviously it would be fatal to 550 anything without an SPF record.  I was
>wondering how many mails I could expect to fall into the 3rd rule so not
>having to put them though MailScanner so saving CPU time.
>
>Just thinking out loud and thought this list would be a fair place to ask
>for others experience.

That is just what the SPF milter for sendmail does (see http://spf.pobox.com). The milter takes care of all your three described rules.

I'm using the sendmail-milter and it works fine (although I have changed the code a bit for local purposes). It's a perl script, so: easy to change. Other MTA's are supported as well.

>Gary

Mike.